It’s the menstrual cup!
This may be a bit off-putting to all the boys reading this, but ladies will understand! Right?
I just recently got my first menstrual cup. I got mine from Lunette, at just under 40€. They deliver world wide, takes about 7 days to ship. Check their delivery policies here.
(PORTUGUÊS – o site onde podem saber mais sobre este produto é em Lunette.pt)
I had heard about menstrual cups before, but they are still not very popular here in Portugal. I was a bit tired of running around trying to find decent sanitary products whilst travelling, and it can sometimes be hard (and impossible, in some places). Especially if you are travelling for a long time. The average woman uses around 22 sanitary items during a period, and we get 13 periods per year. If you are travelling for longer than a month, you may have to buy these products more than once in different countries, at different sizes, shapes and materials. Disposal can sometimes get awkward, and worst of all, is during those long flights or camping trips. Ever been on a road trip with your man-friends, weeks in row on a campervan? Yup, you’ll see what I mean then!
So, I decided to finally get a menstrual cup, and ladies, this will be your best friend!
When it comes to Lunette: first of all, I loved the packaging!
And about using the product: honestly, it can be a bit intimidating the first couple times using it… the cup is bigger than tampons, and removing the cup may be a bit of an adventure. But trust me, it’s only a bit awkward the first 4 or 5 times. It gets easier every time you use it, and soon it becomes second nature to you. Before using it the first time, you should wash it properly, and boil it for 10 minutes. To use it, you should fold it, and insert it, just like a normal tampon. It adjusts immediately to your body. To make sure there will be no leakage you can pass your finger around the rim of the cup, just to make sure it unfolded completely and is secure in place. There is no discomfort whatsoever!
Removing it may be a bit harder than inserting it. You must first break the seal with your index finger, and then pull with your index finger and thumb. Again, first time is the most difficult, after that it just gets easier and easier. My tip is to try and remove it just after a few hours the first time. If you don’t get it at first, you can try again a little bit later. I chose to try the cup the first times when I was at home, on a day of, to make sure I could use it properly, and there were no leaks or discomfort.
You can find more detailed instructions here.
I’ve already tested it in different situations and it definitely is better than tampons or pads! Running, gym, pool, beach, long work hours outdoors with no toilets nearby… My only regret is not having bought one before!! 🙂 It comes with a little pouch, so it’s easy to just bring it along in your purse or your backpack.
The menstrual cup brings a solution to many problems:
- You only need one, and it lasts for at least 2 years – FDA recommends replacing a menstrual cup every 2 to 3 years, but it may last longer, depending on how often you’ll use it and how well you’ll take care of it. Lunette can last up to 10 years!!
- Economical – the average woman spends over 50€ every years on pads and tampons, whilst the menstrual cup is a one-time purchase that lasts for more than 2 years, costing less than 40€
- Easy to carry – because it’s reusable, you will no longer need to worry on packing extra pads and tampons. It will leave space on your luggage, and is one less thing to worry about
- Environmentally friendly – no more filling the trash with used tampons and pads. You just need to empty your cup, wash, and reuse
- Lasts longer – you only need to empty it 2 to 4 times a day. Also, you can sleep with it!
- Safer than tampons – not conducive to dampness, outbreaks of vaginal candidiasis or cystitis, and it is not disruptive to the natural lubricating ability of the vagina, nor does it dry out the vaginal mucous membrane as tampons do
- Good for sports and swimming – and no cord to be seen coming out of your bikini 😀
I am very happy with my cup 🙂